Brown lipstick is a classic and versatile makeup shade that has been popular for decades. It can range from subtle, natural-looking shades to bold, statement-making colors. In this article, we’ll explore the history of brown lipsticks, the different types of brown shades available, and how to choose the perfect brown lipstick for your skin tone.
History of Brown Lipsticks
Brown lipstick has been around since the early 20th century. It became popular in the 1920s when women began to wear darker, more dramatic makeup looks. During the 1950s, brown lipsticks became associated with Hollywood icons like Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor, who often wore dark brown shades on the red carpet. In the 1990s, brown lipstick experienced a resurgence in popularity, with popular shades like “Twig” by MAC and “Mocha” by Revlon.
Types of Brown Lipstick Shades
There are many different shades of brown lipstick available, ranging from soft and subtle to bold and dramatic. Here are some of the most popular shades:
- Nude Brown: A soft, natural-looking shade that is perfect for everyday wear. Nude brown shades are typically light, with a neutral or warm undertone.
- Mauve Brown: A subtle, pink-toned brown shade that is perfect for a natural, everyday look.
- Rosy Brown: A soft, muted brown shade with a pink undertone. Rosy brown shades are perfect for a romantic, feminine look.
- Chestnut Brown: A warm, reddish-brown shade that is perfect for adding depth and dimension to your makeup look.
- Cinnamon Brown: A warm, orange-toned brown shade that is perfect for a bold, statement-making look.
- Chocolate Brown: A rich, dark brown shade that is perfect for a dramatic, sultry look.
- Espresso Brown: A deep, dark brown shade with a hint of black. Espresso brown shades are perfect for a bold, edgy look.
Choosing the Perfect Brown Lipsticks for Your Skin Tone
When choosing a brown lipstick, it’s important to consider your skin tone to find a shade that will complement your natural coloring. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect brown lipsticks for your skin tone:
- Fair Skin: If you have fair skin, look for brown lipstick shades with a warm undertone, such as nude brown or rosy brown. Avoid shades that are too dark or bold, as they can overwhelm your natural coloring.
- Light Skin: If you have light skin, look for brown lipstick shades with a neutral or cool undertone, such as mauve brown or cinnamon brown. Avoid shades that are too light or pastel, as they can wash out your complexion types .
- Medium Skin: If you have medium skin, you can wear a range of brown lipstick shades, from soft nudes to bold chocolates. Look for shades with a warm or neutral undertone, such as chestnut brown or chocolate brown.
- Dark Skin: If you have dark skin, look for brown lipstick shades with a bold, rich tone, such as espresso brown or dark chocolate brown. Avoid shades that are too light or pastel, as they can look ashy against your skin.
10 Best Brown Lipsticks Shades
1. MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick in “Whirl”: This warm, rosy brown shade is a cult favorite. It has a matte finish and a comfortable, long-lasting formula.
2. Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink in “Groundbreaker”: This deep, rich chocolate brown shade has a matte finish and a long-wearing formula that can last up to 16 hours.
3. NYX Professional Makeup Lip Lingerie Matte Liquid Lipstick in “Ruffle Trim”: This warm, muted brown shade has a matte finish and a lightweight, comfortable formula that won’t dry out your lips.
4. Milani Color Statement Lipstick in “Teddy Bare”: This warm, nude brown shade has a cream finish and a moisturizing formula that glides on smoothly.
5. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in “Mink”: This cool-toned brown shade has a cream finish and a moisturizing formula that provides long-lasting wear.
6. ColourPop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in “Limbo”: This deep, cool-toned brown shade has a matte finish and a lightweight, comfortable formula that doesn’t feel dry or tight on the lips.
7. Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in “Molasses”: This rich, warm-toned brown shade has a cream finish and a moisturizing formula that feels luxurious on the lips.
8. L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Ultra Matte Highly Pigmented Nude Lipstick in “Dose of Cocoa”: This warm, reddish-brown shade has a matte finish and a lightweight formula that provides intense pigmentation.
9. Bobbi Brown Luxe Matte Lip Color in “Nude Reality”: This warm, muted brown shade has a matte finish and a comfortable formula that won’t dry out your lips.
10. Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color in “Unbutton”: This warm, terracotta brown shade has a soft-matte finish and a lightweight formula that feels comfortable on the lips.
Points to Remember
When choosing a brown lipsticks shade, it’s important to consider your skin tone and undertone. If you have fair skin, look for brown shades with a warm undertone to avoid looking washed out. If you have medium or dark skin, opt for richer, deeper brown shades that complement your natural coloring. Cool-toned brown shades work best for those with pink or blue undertones.
Another factor to consider when choosing a brown lipsticks is the finish. Matte finishes provide a bold, statement-making look, while cream finishes provide a more subtle and natural look. Some brown lipsticks even have metallic or shimmer finishes, which can add a touch of glamour to your makeup look.
When applying brown lipstick, it’s important to start with a smooth, moisturized base. Exfoliate your lips with a gentle scrub to remove any dry, flaky skin. And apply a hydrating lip balm before applying your lipstick. For a bold, statement-making look, apply your brown lipstick directly from the tube. For a more subtle look, apply your lipstick with a lip brush for a more precise application.