A Pap Smear test is done to ensure the health of the reproductive system. The test is conducted by an OB/GYN or gynecologist. In this test, a sample for the cervical area is collected and tested with the help of a powerful microscope. Also, urgent care pap smear near me helps detect a deadly disease that is cervical cancer.
Pap smear test
Urgent care pap smear near me helps save lives as the test can detect cancerous as well as precancerous cells. So, the test can detect abnormal cell activities before they become cancerous. The test is taken along with another test that helps in detecting other infections.
Does a pap smear test help detect vaginal infection?
Pap smear test results, if they come mixed or positive, it doesn’t mean that the patient has cervical cancer. The test results might also indicate other vaginal infections. To identify those infections, tests like HPV (human papillomavirus) are also taken along with a pap smear. Diseases like this can cause cervical cancer. In order to be sure if the patient is suffering from cervical cancer or not, the doctor has to perform more testing. So, yes, we can say that the test helps indicate other vaginal infections, but to be sure of its type, more testing is needed.
When to take a pap smear test?
If you are facing the following medical conditions. Then you must go to an urgent care pap smear near me. Let’s have a look at them:
- Bleeding during periods which is more than usual.
- Vaginal discharge looks and smells different from a regular one.
- Nerve Pain more than usual during sexual intercourse.
- Bleeding after sexual intimacy.
- Experiencing vaginal bleeding after menopause.
- Pain in the pelvic area.
A woman should take the test after her twenties. But there is no limit to taking the test. Suppose you are younger than 20 and have those symptoms. You should go for a Pap smear test. If you have suffered from cervical cancer before then, you need to take the test more frequently.
Get ready for a Pap smear test
Get ready for a pap smear test by keeping in mind the following steps:
- Don’t use any vaginal medication, creams, or gels before taking the test. Stop using it at least 24 to 48 hours before taking the test.
- If you are on your menses, then you should delay your appointment unless they get over. You should stop using pads or tampons 24 hours before taking the test.
- The test is easy and painless. Pregnant women can also take this test at any stage of their pregnancy, as the test won’t hurt the mother or fetus. The doctor simply collects some cell samples from the cervical wall by using a soft brush.
Urgent care pap smear near helps indicate precancerous and cancerous cells. The test results sometimes also indicate a vaginal infection. Women who have HIV or suffer from a weak immune system due to chemo should also take this test. It won’t describe the type of vaginal infection to determine it; the doctor has to perform further testing. A Pap smear test is safe to take and won’t hurt you. Everything you need to know about this test is available in this blog.