Granite cookware is a popular choice for home cooks and professional chefs alike. It is known for its durability, non-stick properties, and even heat distribution. However, with so many different brands and styles of granite cookware on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start.
What is granite cookware?
Granite cookware is not actually made of granite. Instead, it is made of a metal core (such as aluminum, carbon steel, or stainless steel) that is coated with a ceramic or silicone non-stick layer. The non-stick coating is what gives granite cookware its signature speckled appearance.
Benefits of granite cookware
- Durable: Granite cookware is very durable and can withstand years of use. The non-stick coating is also very resistant to scratches and chips.
- Non-stick: Granite cookware is known for its excellent non-stick properties. This means that you can cook with very little oil or butter, which makes it a healthier option than traditional cookware.
- Even heat distribution: Best Granite cookware heats evenly throughout, which helps to prevent food from sticking or burning.
- Easy to clean: Granite cookware is very easy to clean. Simply wipe it down with a damp cloth or sponge after each use.
How to choose the best granite cookware
When choosing granite cookware, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Material: The material of the core is important to consider. Aluminum cores are lightweight and heat up quickly, while stainless steel cores are more durable and can withstand higher temperatures.
- Non-stick coating: There are many different types of non-stick coatings available. Some are more durable than others, and some are more resistant to scratching. Look for a non-stick coating that is PFOA-free and PTFE-free.
- Compatibility: Make sure to choose granite cookware that is compatible with your stovetop. Most granite cookware is induction-compatible, but it is always a good idea to check with the manufacturer.
Features to look for
- Oven-safe: Some granite cookware is oven-safe up to certain temperatures. This is a great feature if you like to cook dishes like lasagna or casseroles in the oven.
- Lidded: Lidded granite cookware is ideal for cooking foods that need to be covered, such as soups and stews.
- Handles: Look for Best Granite cookware with handles that are comfortable to grip and stay cool to the touch.
Top brands of granite cookware
Here are a few of the top brands of granite cookware:
- Gotham Steel
- Rachael Ray
How to care for your granite cookware
To prolong the life of your granite cookware, it is important to care for it properly. Here are a few tips:
- Hand wash: Granite cookware is best washed by hand. Avoid using abrasive sponges or scrubbers, as they can damage the non-stick coating.
- Dry immediately: After washing, dry your granite cookware immediately with a clean towel. This will help to prevent rust and discoloration.
- Avoid high heat: Avoid cooking over high heat, as this can damage the non-stick coating.
- Use silicone utensils: Silicone utensils are safe to use with granite cookware. Avoid using metal utensils, as they can scratch the non-stick coating.
Granite cookware is a great choice for home cooks and professional chefs alike. It is durable, non-stick, and easy to clean. When choosing granite cookware, be sure to consider the material of the core, the non-stick coating, and the compatibility with your stovetop. With proper care, your granite cookware can last for many years.